Monday, September 15, 2008

Almost mugged on the E line

I was almost mugged standing in the Subway. It was overcrowded and I felt as if I was being unnecessarily leaned into. I move around to adjust my position to create more room, but he is definitely leaning into me and it seems intentional now. I switch my bag to the front of me and squeeze my bag feeling for my wallet. It's there. I look at him to see what kind of person, he looks thuggish. I have my wallet and my cell phone, I start focusing on my exit so I can make it as quickly as possible through the thick unyielding crowds. I go to the rest room at my office and I notice my bag has been ripped open with a knife.

I go back to the platform and they call officers to come and meet me. They take down his description and show me tiny pictures on laminated cards. He is not on their cards.

I seem to be an oddity for them. Remembering the person, providing a description, and not really having had anything stolen. They grow to a group of 8.

Maybe it's my stance. I am not ranting, or crying, but determined. Cops seem to be judgemental creatures, it's their job to assess people quickly, and I feel as if they are not quite sure what to make of me.

They take down my info and I thank them as we part.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:20 PM

    I'm sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. Wouldn't life be good without people such as muggers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh...it would be, but I think when you work in the city, you have to expect a bit of everything, including muggers.

    To be honest, I think I am more upset with myself at not having been more alert. The train was very packed and I was only focusing on getting off. I consider the event a lesson well earned.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Directory - Blogged